The basics all physical and online stores should have in place
First impressions are important for every business be it bricks and mortar or online store
As a wholesale sales agency specialising in the babies and kids industry we receive multiple stockist applications every week. As you could imagine, we come across many different types of websites in our process of approving stockists, these can be startup stores to well established stores. Over the years we have pinpointed a number of basic things that stores are just not getting right. These are all REALLY important points that you MUST have completed.
Are you reading the list and thinking, I am good, I have all of these??? Don’t get too excited… How long has it been since you checked all of these things are still functioning? Time and time again we come across broken social media links only to discover the store was not aware they were no longer working. It is important to make sure you add a procedure to your monthly schedule to ensure these things are continuing to work.
Our team has compiled the following lists to help you with the basics.
For physical brick and mortar stores:
- Make sure you have added or updated your free listing on Google My Business at www.google.com.au/intl/en/business/. Encouraging your customers to add reviews and photos will also support this.
- List your shop address on your home page and throughout your website, also helps with SEO! I cannot tell you how many stores we visit online and how much we have to search the website to figure out if the store is online only or has a physical shop.
- Ensure to also enter your shop address in the address section on facebook as well as your main descriptions on your other social media pages. Entering your address on facebook means that customers can easily click through to your location on maps. Take a look through other social media pages such as instagram and find just how many actually list their location, i find it horrifying how many stores have missed this crucial piece of information on their social media accounts.
- From a physical recognition and confirmation perspective, make sure you are frequently posting in store pictures or videos on social media of products, just general store depth images (to see full or parts of inside your store) as well as the outside front of your shop. This is great for marketing, can entice customers to come in store and know exactly where a product is and feel more personally connected to your store.
- Don’t forget to always hashtag your suburb on your instagram pictures.
For physical brick and mortar AND online stores:
- Links to all your social media accounts which should include the main ones if you have them: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & Pinterest. If you already have the links, check they work as you would be surprised how many established businesses we visit online that have broken links!
- Make sure you have your contact information on your website in the way of a contact form and/or email address. An email address also helps with SEO and making you more searchable.
- Search bar that is easily viewable immediately and user friendly. If you do not have this feature look at a plugin or discuss with your IT. We come across many websites where the search bar blends in or is at the bottom of the page where you need to scroll to find it.
- Don’t forget to always hashtag your country on your instagram pictures.
- A noticeable and clearly visible tagline or short sentence about what you do is really important in such a saturated market where many more stores are popping up online every day. The babies and kids industry is very broad and stems in to a wide network of store types from boutiques to chemists to florists and more. This is not just important to display on your website but also on all social media accounts. See a great blog by Sal Blanshard here. A tagline or similar could be something like:
- Kids clothing and gifts for newborn to 10 years
- Babies and kids store with everything from newborn clothing to toddler toys and tween accessories
- Local Chemist with gifts for all the family
- Local Florist delivery flowers and gifts for all occasions
Examples of in store pictures and videos:
|Part of a store display video:||In store display:|
|Outside front of store:||Front window display:|